Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Wake up and Shout

Hii
Here's an experience i'd like to share it with all of you. An incident, which inspires.

In the past couple of weeks, i was flooded with promotional messages of various products and various political candidates contesting the Lok Sabha(The Indian National Assembly), and these messages had almost taken my peace of mind. In every halk hour, my phone used to get 4-5 such messages. I was really getting irritated. At some occasions, even my phone got hung that bad the situation went. And all because of this message sending. All this was happening even though i had registered for the Do Not Disturb registry set up by the Govt. Of India.

I called up the customer care on how to tackle this. They gave me incorrect information many a times to mislead me, or to somehow get rid of me. This was something they didn't want to tackle. After a few days of call, they eventually blocked my calls to their call centres - a bonanza to me for being a Vodafone user.

Here's the number i've been getting irritated with.

+919246255009
+919247055007

All Tata numbers. Google these phone numbers and you'll understand how much of a nuisance they are.


So i finally decided to write to the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India - TRAI , the big daddy of all telecom companies, the authority who looks after the consumers. I mailed to the greiverence cell regarding the matter. I did send a copy of it to the nodal officer, to whom i've roughly written half a dozen times in my 6 month long stay with Vodafone. The very next day, i'm flooded with calls from the nodal office. And these calls keep on coming for two days, such is the fear of TRAI.

They told me that they had set up a special helpline for such telemarketing issues. 1909 was the number. Its toll free. Every telecom company has been ordered by the TRAI to constitute such a cell meant only for such complains. And companies dont promote them, because that'll mean more staff needed for attending calls, and they dont want to shell out money for that.

So if any of you have any issues regarding telemarketing, or any promotinal messages and calls, call 1909, and register the complaint. That will do everything.

So how many of you knew that 1909 could be used to make calls ?

No comments: